Friday, December 10, 2010

The day of the Mecha movie has arrived... Now don’t screw it up...


When I was in 9th or 10th grade, I read a book called “Starship Troopers” ( And no, I dont think it has been made into a movie no matter what you say... LALALALALA I can’t hear you!) and have re-read that book many times, it is on my IPod to play during long road trips. In the early 80’s I purchased a game called “Battledroids” that after a lawsuit became “Battletech” and became a huge fan of its look at armored combat in the year 3025. I have hugely enjoyed Manga and Anime such as “VOTOMS” and “Appleseed” (Both version) that illustrate a future where human pilots and mechanical walking beasts become one in deadly combat. These machines are often termed “Mecha” and I believe the time is right for a Mecha based movie.


We have caught glimpses of what can be done in such movies as “Avatar”, “Ironman” and “Transformers” and in the trailer for “Real Steel” the technology is there and our friends the Japanese have shown that the stories have been there for some time. I remember a movie called “RoboJocks” or something to that effect and would like to say to hollywood.... I forgive you, just don’t do it again.


I prefer the mecha of a size like the Scoped Dog from VOTOMs or the Landmates from Appleseed. A game by Dreampod 9 called “Heavy Gear” is nearly the perfect size machine, maybe 12 to 15 feet high, Though I loved the Mechs in battletech, the larger machines were never my preference. It makes my imaginary taste buds tingle when i think of what Weta or ILM could do to make these come to life. I look at Avatar and think those suits are just Scoped Dogs missing their heads ( And really... glass canopies on ground combat vehicles???).


So Hollywood please, I’m begging ya hear, this could be a new franchise for ya, eye popping special effects, angst ridden pilots... hawt Sci-babes in tight pilot suits, that could fill the toy isles on Christmas... Please make me a Mech movie and Please... Pretty please, don’t screw it up.

4 comments:

keith said...

But what does this have to do with Deckard being a replicant?

Clockmaker said...

I loathe you brother

Anonymous said...

I had completewly forgotten about RoboJocks. Man. That was some pleasant amnesia.

I definitely think it could be done. It should be done. And it will be screwed up, at least once or twice, but someone's own original story will work. I hope.

Dave Starks said...

what about "Mobile Suit Gundam" and "Macross"? to me those are THE "mecha"...