Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rainy Days (<--- i pondered if I should have used a Z to sound cool but decided against it)


You look out side and the world is wet and gray, you listen to rhythmic patter of the rain against your transparent viewport to the world and dream of different times and far of places.... or at least I used to. You see, I love rainy days.


When i was a teenager rainy days used to make me want to sit and read, day dream or gather some friends together to game... as opposed to when I was really young and they made me want to run out and race pop-sickle sticks down the gutter of Longview dr. If you were to add lightning to the mix.... that just made it perfect.


I don’t know what it is about rainy days that effected me so, I wonder if anyone else felt they way I did about them. I imagine normal people dread the rain because it interferes with their normaling and stuff (normaling being the acts of being normal... its ok if you havent heard it used before as I just made it up). In High school, a rainy saturday would have me sitting around thinking of girls I never had the nerve to ask out or, via the minds eye, touring middle earth or the battlefields of france.


A sunny day never hit me the same way, I was never one of these people who went vaulting out the door on the first warm day of spring to rip my shirt off and play frisbee in the front yard while the transistor radio played the latest Aerosmith song.


My Mom used to have a third floor apartment at University plaza and for some reason Thunder storms always sounded as if they were blowing the place apart. You literally used to brace when you saw the flash of lightning...then BOOM!!!, I loved it.


I don’t know why some people are sunny day people and I am a rainy day person, maybe it was being lonely or some super deep psychological thing that I havent the slightest desire to understand, but the fact remains, that to this day I love a rainy day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I approve of the word Normaling. I will begin using it immediately.

Rainy days mostly depress me when I'm sitting in my office and the slice of window I can sorta see from my chair is a grey and listless sight mirroring the slow inevitable shrinking of my soul with every second I sit there. As a kid, though, I was just like you. I was gonna sit in my room all day and read RPG books or Tolkien or Dragonlance anyway, and while it rained no one could tell me to go do something else.

Wren nests in... said...

I love rainy days! Summer rainy days make me want to run around outside in them (and occasionally I do). If I'm inside on a rainy day, I listen to Gregorian chant...